The new school year is rolling around and the course textbook list is out now on the U of T Bookstore website.
Before you head on down to the bookstore and leave a dent in your credit card, you might want to try to:
- BUY YOUR BOOKS USED
You can get used books from a number of places, including:
Don’t forget that the U of T Bookstore also sells used books, but you might be able to get a better deal if you look around other places.
- BUY YOUR BOOKS FROM THE DISCOUNT BOOKSTORE
If the book you want is the latest edition and you can’t get it used, then your best option is to buy it from the discount bookstore, located across the street from the U of T bookstore. The price difference isn’t crazy, but it’s probably the cost of a cheap meal.
- SEE IF THERE’S AN ONLINE VERSION
Sometimes if you Google hard enough, you can find a PDF version of a textbook you can view for free. You might prefer to have a hard copy of all the pages to carry around, though it can be handy for those times that you don’t have the book on you.
To make sure you are getting the right book for the right price, remember to:
- Check the ISBN number of the book you want with the one you’re buying
- Look around at the prices people are offering for the book and see if you can get a cheaper deal
- See if the book is actually “Required” for the course; I often find that I don’t even use books that are “Recommended.”
If you have any tips on buying or selling textbooks, leave them in the comments!